Vegan Tomato Soup Recipe
10.07.2016 by LadyAlly
I don’t really know why but I’ve been craving for tomato soup recently. I love foods that have a slight “sourish” taste as I find them a lot more appetising, so thankfully I’ve managed to find an easy to cook recipe by Jamie Oliver that I’ve modified a little. Without much ado, here it is!
- 2 carrots; sliced
- 3-4 cloves garlic; diced
- 2 medium onions; sliced
- 2 celery stalks; sliced
- 6 ripe tomatoes; diced
- 2 x 400g canned whole peeled tomatoes (any brand is fine. I tried with 1 can whole cherry tomatoes and 1 can whole peeled tomatoes. It tasted better.)
- 400ml vegetable stock (300ml if using pressure cooker)
- 500ml water
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 2 stalks fresh basil
- In a heavy pot, heat olive oil and sauté onions and garlic until slightly brown.
- Add celery and carrots. Sauté for about 5 minutes. Stir constantly to avoid them getting burnt.
- Add tomatoes, and empty both canned tomatoes including the liquids.
- Add water and vegetable stock.
- Boil until vegetables are soft.
- Remove from heat. Blend in a food blender with fresh basil until smooth. (Since my blender is a little small, I blended in parts, then empty the soup into a pot to mix them up).
- Serve. (You can serve with some garlic bread, or a little bit of whipping/cooking cream if you’re not vegan)
** If the soup is too thick, just add some hot water and stir a little. If not salty enough, add a pinch of salt (or a little more depending on your preference), and simmer a little while. Make sure to stir often to avoid it getting burned.
If you are using a pressure cooker…
- Follow the above directions 1-4.
- Close and lock your pressure cooker. Once pressure has built up, slow down fire and leave it to cook for 20 minutes.
- Release pressure and continue with directions 6-7.
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 30-45 minutes