As much as I like eating short crust pies, it is rather tedious to make in a short notice; or more like I want easy to make food these days having to juggle family, kids, cooking, and deadlines. Anyway, long story short, this is a pretty easy recipe although the prep work can be a little choppy.
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 2 small potatoes, cut into cubes
- 2 small carrots (or 1 large carrot), cut into cubes
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 1 rib of celery, sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 5 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 450-500ml chicken/vegetable stock (homemade or box stock)
- 2 deboned whole chicken leg, cut into cubes, and cooked (pan-fry/air-fry/oven-baked)
- 1 box whipping/cooking cream (200ml)
- 1 tbsp minced parsley (fresh/dried)
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp garlic salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1 egg
- puff pastry, thawed. (If it softens too much before your filling is ready, put it in the fridge for a while)
- In a large pot or saucepan, add butter. Saute the onions, garlic, carrots, potatoes, and celery until tender. Do this on medium fire to avoid burning the garlic and onion.
- Add flour gradually and stir in until well blended.
- Gradually add broth while stirring. Let it boil for about 2 minutes, or until thickened. Stir in the cream, parsley, garlic salt and pepper. Stir in chicken.
- Spoon the filling in ramekins, or oven safe bowls.
- In a small bowl, whisk egg and 1 tbsp cream.
- Cut puff pastry so that it covers the ramekin/bowl. Make sure its not too small.
- Brush some of the egg mixture on the rims of ramekin/bowl.
- Place puff pastry over the ramekin/bowl, and use a wet fork to lightly press the pastry down to the rim.
- Brush egg mixture over the entire pastry.
- Bake in oven or air-fryer (bake function) at 180ºC for 10-20 minutes, or until puff pastry puffs up.
** This recipe makes enough for 3-4 persons, depending on size of rameskins/bowl.